We’ve ECU remapped a few Ducati Scramblers now and there seems to be a large variation in what you actually get; one could be really snatchy and horrible (the sort of bike you wouldn’t p*** on if it was on fire…) or you get one that’s half reasonable.
So with a bit of experience with the breed this one came in for the treatment (and unfortunately the poor owner came from Birmingham in the pouring rain) and we had to test ride it in a monsoon too. In truth, we didn’t quite get to the bottom of its problems by the end of the day and he went home.
A week later he’d managed to ride it in the dry and felt there could still be improvements to be made so came back up. To be fair, he was at the point of selling it if we couldn’t sort it. It was that bad.
We built a completely revised map, switched the closed loop off and did an old-fashioned throttle position over rpm map. And, lo and behold, cured the thing.