Now this RC8R has already had an ECU remap but was back because it developed a problem… it started missing, coughing and spluttering. It did feel like it was jumping out of gear and we feared the worse (RC8R boxes aren’t the strongest) but it turned out to be a simple case of burnt out spark plugs.

Which is where the mystery lies; originally when we remapped it we ran a strong ignition map that gave great results but may have been a bit too much ignition in the bottom end. We’ve changed the plugs and the bike is back with its owner now, on trial.

It is an absolute missile however, and we do wonder if it had, at some point, some race kit parts added – which would need race plugs. We’ll see what we find out!

A rocketship RC8R which ate its spark plugs...

A rocketship RC8R which ate its spark plugs…