The chap who brought this R1 in has owned it for a while and does a limited amount of miles every year. He got the Austin Racing exhaust at a show and they said the usual thing “don’t worry, just bolt it on the ECU will sort it out…” which is not the case.

Anyway, he noticed straight away it wasn’t running right and as soon as the weather picked up came to us for a remap. Now these are finicky bikes to work with; some are bad, some merely acceptable. Trying to sort them with a Power Commander has never really worked (for lots of reasons) but making changes via the ECU has proved the best method.

This one needed some quite dramatic changes to its fuelling. We left the lambda in play – for the moment – because the catalyser is still in place. It’s best got rid of, really and when the bike comes back that’ll be the next job. All the popping and banging on the overrun disappeared (we turned off the fuel cut-off so it gets a bit of fuel as you shut the throttle) and what we ended up with is a very usable, useful engine with 160bhp at the back wheel.

The fancy can meant the engine needed more fuel. Done!

The fancy can meant the engine needed more fuel. Done!