We’ve done a few of these Triumphs in the past and the owners’ requests have all been a bit different to the sports bike boys, so we’ve only ever really adjusted the fuelling…
This one was different, and we’ve gone to town a bit. The owner had fitted a Zard pipe and opened the airbox out so the engine could breathe. The problem was this had created massive holes in the power delivery and the fuelling was horrendous; this is a big engine and you can end up with big air/fuel mixture problems.
Our job was to sort the fuelling out to match his changes and also switch off some of the restrictions. Rockets are heavily restricted in first, second and third gear with bottom end reduced, and also in the later gears. After the work we ended up with over 150lb-ft torque and over 130 rear wheel bhp (it came in with 114bhp and 135lb-ft…).
In effect we’ve opened it out – not overly so in first and second because it needs to be rideable and not kill the clutch – but through all the other gears. Cool!