Honda VFR400 NC30 valve clearance and carb balance
The customer who owns this NC30 phoned us up recently; he’d been struggling to find anybody to touch it. In the heyday of these bikes we’d be doing one or two a week and built a good reputation for looking after them well.
Usefully, we worked out then how to get them to pieces quite quickly, which really helps on the cost front. This bike needed its valve clearances sorting out, which we did, and they were out of adjustment. The valves were straightforward, the tricky aspect with these V4s is balancing the carbs; not easy. The bike ran like a bag of spanners, purely because the carbs were out of whack.
As per usual for carb balancing vacuum gauges are needed, but the procedure is hard work because of the engine figuration. The ‘fixed’ cylinder is the front left hand cylinder, and you sync the others to it. It’s not simple because there’s a rod joining the front bank to the rear bank; you get the two rear carbs right but then they’ll be out of sync with the front left… you have to work in a backwards manner, and it takes a while. When it was done we were pleased – it started, ran and idled a treat.
There’s plenty you can do at home, on a bike like this, all we’ve done is the stuff that the average home mechanic would be shy of.
2010 Triumph Sprint ECU Reprogram
The issues with this bike mainly concern power and power delivery off the bottom especially two-up. It’s been back to the dealer and had the latest factory tune, but the owner wants a little more. First job? Isolate the Lambda sensor and cap off the emissions unit. The bike was then put on the Dyno and we reprogrammed the stock ECU; fuelling at the bottom end has been richened up, taking away the ‘hunting’ snatchiness. Fuelling all the way through the rev range has been optimized and the ignition curve trimmed.
2009 Yamaha R1 Road to Race
To upgrade to race spec we’ve fitted an Öhlins rear shock and MCT have modded the front forks. The engine’s been out and we’ve adjusted the cam timing, ported and skimmed the cylinder head and we’re fitting a set of BSD Performance adjustable bellmouths. It’s also having a YEC race loom and ECU, plus quickshifter.
- KTM RC8 fitted with Rottweiler airbox & JCE exhaust full ECU remap and Dyno set-up 24 May 2013
- 2010 Ducati 696 Monster oil/filter change & new belts 22 May 2013
- 2012 BMW K1300R Power Commander PC V fit and Dyno setup – an owner’s words 20 May 2013
- Triumph Thunderbird full ECU remap – an owner’s words 17 May 2013
- KTM RC8 ECU remap – an owner’s words 15 May 2013